Monday, July 19, 2010

A New Era

My last FREE weekday has officially come and gone. To make sure I made the most of it, Boyfriend and Baby C took me out for a surprise day trip to the Denver Aquarium! Around noon, we headed out and took the light rail into downtown Denver and walked to the Aquarium from there. It was a long walk, but alas, we made it. It took about an hour to get through, and we had a late lunch at the Aquarium Restaurant afterwards. before heading back. My overall take on the Aquarium is 1) It was a TERRIFIC way to spend my last free day. 2) Their food was delicious and in a sweet looking room with a huge fish tank with sharks along one wall. 3) Not as spectacular as the aquarium in Chicago or Dallas, but still very enjoyable!
The following Monday, July 12 marked my first day as an Audiology Extern at the Marion Down's Hearing Center at the University of Colorado Hospital!!! A new era has begun - I am now a working woman! Eight years out of highschool, I could not be more excited to be out of the classroom and into the workforce. The only thing that would make it better is if the work actually included a paycheck.
In a nutshell, for those of you who have no idea what an Audiologist is, it is a professional who specializes in diagnosing and treating hearing and balance disorders. At the hospital where I am carrying out my externship, I will be exposed to pediatrics through geriatrics, diagnostics, hearing aids (and numerous manufacturers), cochlear implants, vestibular (balance) testing including VNG, rotary chair and posturography, electrophysiology, newborn hearing screenings, etc. I will also be responsible for presenting at Grand Rounds every first Thursday of the month and coordinating Team Clinic every second Friday of the month (I will explain these better in a future post). Yikes! I feel very overwhelmed, but also extremely excited and lucky to be here.
My first day was pretty much what you would expect: orientation, paperwork, meeting the staff, and observing. I met most of the Audiologists already (there are 13!). They have been great so far and they maintain a very friendly and comforting atmosphere in the department. The best person I've met so far is my fellow Audiology Extern, K-Mo!!! We actually met the night before our first day so we would show up Monday morning at least [sort-of] knowing one person. She is awesome, we get along great, and we actually have a lot in common!
Day 1 is officially done and I am happy to say I am not afraid to go back tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. OMG, the aquarium DOES have the best food! I had the best fish tacos there that I've ever had. I felt bad eating fish while fish swam around me, but YUM! So I just got back from a 10 day trip in NJ and I leave for WI for a week soon, so we will have to do dinner after all of that. Dave's out of town the 9th and 10th, it might be nice to have some company for dinner one of those nights! We'll be in touch!

    ~Keah

    ReplyDelete