Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Pet Peeves

Earlier this week, I discovered that I have 3 huge pet peeves when it comes to clinic. I have experienced each of these many times before, and they weren't that frustrating. But this time... they were back to back to back. Patient #1: The literal clicker This is the patient who when you say "click the button every time you hear the beeps" ACTUALLY does one click for every beep heard. Normally, I present about 3 beeps in a series, and the patient clicks the button one time demonstrating that he/she heard it at that level. This patient hears the 3 beep series and click 3 times very fast. Beep, beep beep --> "click, click, click" Beep, beep beep --> "click, click, click" Beep, beep, beep --> "click, click, click" Patient #2: The uncontrollable clicker This is the patient who can not stop clicking the button, even when no stimulus was presented. Many patients have a hard time with this since they often mistake their tinnitus (ringing in their ears) for the tones or beeps I present. Therefore they think I'm presenting a tone so they respond, even though I never played the beeps. Usually a simple reminder to only click the button when they're sure they heard the beeps and not the ringing in their ears is enough to get the clicking under control. Well, not this time. I reminded this patient 4 times.... 4 TIMES... to try and control her clicking. No change. It may have been one of the longest puretone checks I have ever done. It went something like this: Beep, beep beep --> Click.............................. click..................,,,....... click................................................
....................... click ................................click ..................................................ckick ................click Beep, beep, beep --> click .........................click ..................click ...................................................click Get the idea? How am I supposed to know what is a true response and what was a click that coincidentally came just after I presented the beeps? Patient #3: The let me tell you how to do your job patient Really? You went to school for 8 years to study ears/hearing aids/etc too? No, I didn't think so. You gotta love the patients that come in complaining that their hearing aids aren't working or their earmolds don't fit right and tell you exactly what they think you should do about it. Individually, these patients are not that bad. But having each of these scenarios 3 patients in a row makes a girl want to scream! Thankfully, I got through them all and had the patient leaving happy and satisfied. What are your work pet peeves?

1 comment:

  1. Boo, so annoying to deal with those types! But at least Grand Rounds sounds like it went well :)

    Currently my work pet peeve is not being able to start my new people at their schools on time! But that's a long and frustrating story for another day...

    ReplyDelete