Monday, August 2, 2010

Last week

...was not the best. I was pretty much sick the whole week, so everything I did was a bit of a blur. But, I still managed to go in everyday and not get anybody else sick (knock on wood). Nothing too exciting happened this week, but here are the highlights.
1) I had my first "go" at the hearing screenings in the nursery all by myself. All my babies were very well behaved and sleepy - just the way we like them. We (myself and the volunteers) tested 7 babies and 4 of them passed their screening. The other 3 were referred on one ear and will need to be screened once more before being discharged from the hospital. We have a high volume of non-English speakers at this hospital, so I was thrilled about not having to make an attempt at using the language translator phones.
2) It was the last week for the exiting 4th year student. She has been terrific! She trained me in the nursery, gave me the low down on team clinic or "compass clinic" and on what's to be expected of us at grand rounds. She has introduced me to a lot of wonderful people, and the list goes on and on. We will miss you!!!
3) Boyfriend took me on another surprise trip! This time we went to the Rocky Mountain Nation Wildlife Refuge. It is not too far from our place, near the airport. Basically, it's a 2 hour tour around the refuge on a bus looking for wildlife. Not the most exciting trip, but not a bad way to spend a Saturday morning either. The 2 hour tour is free and we got to see a bunch of wildlife! Including, but not limited to: deer, bison, hawks, water fowl, a cute raccoon family (I know, I hate raccoons too, but they they were honestly kinda cute) and hundreds and hundreds of the most adorable prairie dogs! It was humorous to watch all the people on the bus get unbelievably excited to see birds and bunnies and raccoons. Don't they ever look outside their windows at home? A pleasant, relaxing trip overall.
One of the coons from the raccoon family! See kinda cute... for a coon.

My favorite picture of the prairie dogs. They're kissing!! Just before I took the picture they were hugging too. So adorable.

2 comments:

  1. Bummer that you were sick, favorite! Hope you're feeling better...the refuge seems cool though. Super cute prairie dogs ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love prairie dogs! :) Glad the babies you screened were sleeping for you. :)

    ReplyDelete